POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Color space conversion? : Re: Color space conversion? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color space conversion?
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 4 May 2000 07:16:27
Message: <39115C75.19BC1A37@aetec.ee>
Glen Berry wrote:

> Aren't CMYK>RGB and RGB>CMYK difficult conversions?

No, basically this are as easy as that (RGB->CMY):
C = 1 - R
M = 1 - G
Y = 1 - B
In case of CMYK K is computed as minimum from C,M,Y and each component
(CMY) is reduced by this value.
This "easy" conversion works in theory, in practice it's much more
complicated (see below).
> If I understand it
> correctly, there are skilled photographers who own Photoshop and still
> send files to professional service bureaus for such conversions, in
> preparation for high-quality printing. I think that these bureaus
> often have to make manual corrections, to optimize the conversion. I
> think it has to do with the idiosyncracies of printing inks and
> printing technology.

You are correct. colorspace FAQ has more detailed explanation for it,
basically it comes down to the fact, that ink spectral absorption curves
overlap and thus this easy CMY = 1-RGB doesn't hold. Other problem is
non-linearity by dot gain, causing similar problems as gamma in case of
monitors.